For years, nutrition experts cautioned that eggs were unhealthy. After all, they're one of the richest sources of cholesterol in the human diet. And since cholesterol plugs up arteries, eggs must raise the risk of heart attacks and strokes, right? Wrong! It turns out that only about 25 percent of the cholesterol in your blood comes from food. The other 75 percent is manufactured by the liver, which produces lots of cholesterol when you eat sources of saturated fat—something eggs are low in.
Need another reason to eat more eggs? They're also filled with useful nutrients that may offset any damage done by their cholesterol content, including unsaturated fat, folate and other B vitamins, and minerals.